Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Showing In the Morning

My realtor called today to set an appointment for a showing tomorrow morning. Other than the initial open house, this will be the fifth time in four weeks my home has been shown. Not bad, I'm told, for this time of year. No interest, nor any offers, but still I'm told things are going well.

So, tonight I took a little extra care in straightening up the kitchen and checking the bathrooms. The iron and ironing board were stashed away along with any other offensive household objects. I'm told people shopping for a new house don't want to be reminded of what everyday living entails. In this house, if they buy it, rooms will remain clean and no chores will need to be done.

Then my teenage daughter came home from her summer job announcing she was cleaning up her bedroom. Good timing. Although we often differ on the definition of a clean room any improvement is welcome. I won't and don't clean her room for her, even lately. I figure, the more I contradict my spoken expectations with opposite actions, the less cooperation I will get. So far, my maternal psychology usually works and she does her share, or at least what she deems to be her share. And on the days her bed is not made and yesterday's clothes remain on the floor, I remind her I but don't make a fuss.

Because, no matter how much HGTV I watch, I just won't believe that an unmade bed or a sink full of dishes can be potential deal breakers.

No comments: